The Utica Division extends from Chenango Forks, 13 miles north of Binghamton, to Utica, and included the Richfield Springs branch, which extended from Richfield Junction (near Clayville) to Richfield Springs (this branch was recently abandoned.) The Utica Division tapped some of the richest dairy farmland in New York State.
The Utica Division had its origin on January 11, 1866, when the Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna (Valley) Railroad was incorporated. This company built the Richfield Springs Branch and the Utica Division from Utica to Norwich and along the picturesque Chenango River to Greene. The UC&S opened to Sherburne in 1869. The Richfield Springs branch and the line to Norwich were opened in 1870, and the line to Greene was completed by 1872. The Utica, Chenango and Susquehanna Railroad was leased to the DL&W Railroad on April 9, 1870. To complete the seven mile link between Greene and Chenango Forks, where the Utica Branch connects with the Syracuse-oswego Branch, the Greene Railroad was incorporated in 1869. It was opened and leased to the DL&W Railroad on April 26, 1870. The opening of these roads brought new coal markets to the company.
Trains of both the Utica and Syracuse and Oswego Branches used the same tracks between Binghamton and Chenango Forks. These were double until the post World War II period, when one was removed.
The principal community served by the Utica Branch was Norwich, home of the Norwich Pharmeceutical Company, makers of such well-known products as Unguentine and Pepto-Bismol The DL&W had sidings serving warehouses of this company.
The Richfield Springs branch extended through Bridgewater, where it connected with the Unadilla Valley Railroad, a shortline that served Edmeston and New Berlin to Richfield Springs on Canadarago Lake, once a rather fashionable resort. Here, from 1905 until 1940, the DL&W had a passenger and freight connection with the Southern New York Railway, an interurban to Oneonta. Milk and light freight were the chief sources of revenue on this branch.
During the nineteenth century a Shop was maintained at Utica, at which ten locomotives of various types were constructed. At Utica, trains run down the center of Schuyler Street to reach the end of the line. Utica is one ofthe few cities having such an arrangement. Passenger trains used the Union Station, used by all main and branchline trains of the New York Central. The last passenger train over the Utica branch was run on April 29, 1950, with little fanfare. At Binghamton, the Utica passenger trains left, as did those for Syracuse, from special tracks located at the east end of the station.
Syracuse and Baldwinsville Railroad; Central Valley Railroad -These two companies were nineteenth century short line connections to the Lackawanna in upstate New York. The Syracuse and Baldwinsville was built between Baldwinsville and Amboy, where it connected with the West Shore Railroad. The line fell into financial difficulties, and fell under the control of the Lackawanna, which formally abandoned it in 1897. Its one locomotive- a 4-4·0- was absorbed by the Lackawanna, and used on its Oswego line. The Central Valley Railroad was built during the 1870's from a point south of Greene on the Utica line along the valley of the Genegantslet Creek to Smithville Fts. It was never on firm financial ground, and one morning residents awoke to find a train taking up the rails as it moved along. Disposition of its equipment is unknown. This eompany used narrow gage.
Excalibur Intellectual Properties © 1999